Tuesday, August 26, 2014

 

Alopecia, Hair Loss and Hair Replacements: My Story (part two)

Yeah. So we see how well that whole “I’ll post tomorrow” thing went, didn’t we?

At any rate I am writing now, continuing to talk about my experience with alopecia, hair loss and hair replacements.

As I said in my last post, there was a point in time when wearing ponytail-style hairpieces was just fine. Until it wasn’t. I didn’t have enough hair to support the weight of hairpieces comfortably and the amount of my exposed scalp increased, making the combs used to attach a hairpiece unbearable.

This year I knew I needed to commit to doing something. Of course, there were several options.

I could just shave my head and be bald. In fact, whenever I talk about the process of getting a hair replacement one of my friends always mentions this fact. I know it’s well-intentioned. None of my friends want to see me spend more money that I have to. But I quickly decided that wasn’t an option for me. Having hair is about as much a part of my personality as my smile or the colors I like to paint my nails. I definitely think there are beautiful bald women out there. And I think they are beautiful bald women, in part, because their choice to go bald is in line with their personalities. Such was not the case for me, so I journeyed on.

Now I had investigated hair replacement systems before. In the past I always used cost to justify not getting one. The truth is I just didn’t know very much about them and what I didn’t know scared me. So for a while I thought maybe I’d just get a regular, run-of-the-mill wig. While there are cute wigs out there, however, they made me perpetually nervous. At some point there wouldn’t be actual hair for a wig to attach to. Would I have to wear one that gripped my scalp so tight I would have constant headaches? Or maybe I’d just go around in fear all the time that my hair would come flying off.

Then there are those thoughts folks don’t want to admit out loud. Like sex. Yes, sex. Some men pull hair. I’ve always been averse to that, but probably only because I knew it doesn’t take much to completely dislodge hair from my head! There’s also the worry about swimming, dancing vigorously, riding a rollercoaster or a speed boat or doing any of the many, many, many activities in the world where hair moves a lot.

Plus, even the best wigs wear out pretty quickly if you don’t maintain them. And I figured if I’m going to maintain something, why not maintain something that works with my lifestyle.

So after some research I found El Dorado Hair ReplacementCenter, not far from me in White Marsh (a suburb north of Baltimore). I made an appointment for a consultation and went in, as I usually do, probably ill-prepared. But thankfully God gave me an “insightful gut.” I have never been one to write out questions before I meet with people. I sort of wing it. I don’t know if it’s my experience as a writer (and someone who interviews people frequently) or just unrecognized bravado, but that method usually works out for me.

At any rate, when I went to El Dorado I met with the owner, who is named Marty. Interestingly enough Marty himself was wearing a hair replacement and I did not know! (He let me feel the netting line on his scalp. I always feel comforted by people who use their own products. I’m not sure why. Perhaps I feel like they are truly invested? Plus it was comforting to know that he’d coped with hair loss just like I had.

Over the next hour or so, an interesting thing happened. Marty started interviewing me! He asked all sorts of questions, ranging from the routine (“About how often do you go to the gym?”) to the ultra-personal (“When you are in a room full of your peers, do you think you are less smart, as smart or smarter than them?”)

Now me not being the most perceptive person in the world (when it comes to myself) I didn’t realize what he was doing at first. I thought this was just small talk that wouldn’t end! But after a while I realized that he was trying to get to know me. He confirmed it by telling me he calls the process “discovery” and explained that hair is an extension of the personality. In order to get a sense of the kind of hair (style, length, color) to recommend he needed to know something about me: how I think, how I view the world, what I like to do.

That impressed the hell out of me! While I’m a pretty good writer, I am not so great at envisioning things so I had absolutely no idea what I wanted in a hair replacement. It’d been so long since I wore my hair down. I did know what factors I found important though.

1.       I wanted to look like a black person (any time I had a weave folks always mistook me for other races).

2.       I wanted to be able to adjust the style (either by nature or by my situation I am a chameleon. I don’t want to look the same every day!)

3.       I am an attention seeker (something Marty picked up on very easily during his discovery) so my hair had to have some sort of “wow” factor

With that he allowed me to ask the million and two questions I’d thought of while we went through discovery. Here are a few that I asked:

1.       Is there some sort of association or accreditation that makes you qualified to make a hair replacement for me? ANSWER: Yes. There is an American Hair Loss Association and within that there are standards for handling both prosthetic (wig) hair replacements as well as surgical hair replacements and Marty was actively involved in that community.

2.       Are hair replacements covered under insurance policies? ANSWER: Sometimes. I am currently appealing my insurance’s policy, which only covers hair replacements (called either partial or full cranial prosthesis) after chemotherapy.

3.       How much do hair replacements usually cost? ANSWER: Good ones are usually in the thousands, but prices vary depending on length of hair, style, color, etc. Mine cost about $2,500. I was required to make a 30% deposit and the rest was due when the piece was complete.

4.       What are hair replacements made of? And are there any distinctions between the various types? ANSWER: They can be either synthetic or human (mine is human). The human is a bit more versatile in the ability to style but can degrade faster.

5.       How will this thing be attached to my head? ANSWER: There are two methods – taping and bonding. Both methods require you keep your replacement on for stretches of time (as opposed to removing them daily). With taping, you use a strong, double-sided adhesive tape to affix the piece to your head. With bonding, a special medical-grade bonding glue is attached directly to your scalp that will hold the piece in place for several weeks at a time.

6.       What if I order a hairpiece and don’t like it? ANSWER: Marty did stress my down-payment was not refundable (it basically covered the cost of hand crafting the hair replacement) but that my contract stipulated that payment was due upon acceptance of the final piece. He said he’d never experienced a person flat-out not liking their hair replacement but he said they have options to restyle it if tweaks are necessary.

7.       How long does this thing last? ANSWER: Most well-kept hair replacements last about six months, a year at the most. El Dorado has a monthly payment plan you can get on that includes yearly replacement of your piece, but Marty also suggested checking to see how often my insurance might cover replacement.

So…this is turning into a whole little series! But I think I have one more post coming. That’s about the actual logistics (what they did to my head, how they made the wig, how I take care of it, etc.). Stay tuned!

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?