Wednesday, February 13, 2013

 

Day 1: Hot Cross Buns


No that is not what they call "Magic Mike" when he gets mad. Although that'd be fun, wouldn't?

Today is Ash Wednesday. Day 1 of my Lent journey (which includes my Lent promise). I'm surprisingly zen about this whole Facebook thing. Check back with me in a few days though. I'm sure I'll have an appropriate freak out.

So I thought it'd be cool, since I am documenting my Lenten journey and whatnot, to do sort of a "photo a day" vibe. Except...I don't commit to doing it absolutely every day. Only when I feel like it. K?

I have two photos today (so there's credit for one if I have a lazy day later!). The above is the aforementioned hot cross bun (I admit, I had a bite...too sweet...ick). I think that's an English tradition for Ash Wednesday. Not sure as I personally am not English but my church was founded by English Lutherans (don't ask and don't judge).

It's sort of chewy with bits of dried fruit in it. So it's a cross between a dinner roll, a donut and fruit cake. I'm not so much for real sugar. I just don't like the stuff anymore. So I was good with a bite.

Here's my other picture.


So...it occurred to me talking to my friend Traci that not everyone - even fellow Christians - know what this is about.

Today is Ash Wednesday. And in church service my pastor mouthed the following words as she traced a sooty path across my forehead. "Beloved child of God, remember you are dust. And to dust you shall return."

I actually have a lot of respect for Ash Wednesday. I'd say I love it but it's not exactly the kind of holiday you love, so much as you can deeply appreciate the meaning behind it.

You are dust, and to dust you shall return. The bible tells us that God formed Adam from the dust (and if we want to get technical he formed Eve from Adam's rib so I personally am bone...but seeing as that bone was from Adam and Adam was from dust...I guess it all works out).

The phrase, the whole holiday is to remind us that we are but humans. We live, we die. And if we live in sin we are subservient to death. Only through God can we find everlasting life.

For non-believers this doesn't make sense because all die, right? In my highly fallible interpretation of this sentiment I observe the world in a mentality that is subservient to death. We want to party like "it's the end of the world." We want to make the most of the night because "we're gonna die young." In these scenarios, in ALL these scenarios, the self is the axis. I need to have fun because I am not getting any younger and I deserve to have a good time before I grow old and die.

But what of others? What portion of the resources you're devoting to the fulfillment of your perceived need is helping anyone but you? And, maybe more important, what portion of those same resources are exploiting others?

But if we believe that God triumphs over death, we are, in a sense, free to embrace one another. We are free to practice kindness and compassion and empathy. We're not running out of time, no! We have plenty of time because God triumphs over death. We don't need to hoard our resources, keep our good times to ourselves. We have the space to share with others.

The ending to the gospel reading today is as it always is. Matthew 6:21 'for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.'

I had a lot of folks ask me why would I want to give up social media for Lent. Truth is, I didn't want to. But where my treasure lies, my heart will be also. Does social media promise my eternal salvation? The forgiveness of my sins? Unequivocal, unconditional love? Or does God promise that? I was putting my treasure in the wrong place. And on this first day of trying to move my treasure, even though I know this is a good thing, my heart wants to be there, in the thick of my feed. Posting and sharing and updating and liking. Because I'm going to die young, right? The world may end tomorrow and I won't have had a chance to post my manifesto on Facebook.

Self-discipline is one of the tenets of Lent. I'm not so great at it but I'm going to try. Because I want my treasure to be in love. And I want the people around me, and everyone I interact with to see that love. And when I am gone, I have faith that that love will remain.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?