Friday, February 19, 2010

 

Project: No-Nosh Nikki (Day 1)

You ever have a moment when you committed to something and felt REALLY good about it? Empowered even?


Then, in the moment after, did you think to yourself, “what the hell did I just do to myself???”

That’s sort of how I feel about this “no-noshing” Lent promise I made. Do I really propose to stick to a food plan again? And not eat ANYTHING in between? But what if one of the kids get French fries and I want 3 (or 7)? What if someone makes something good and I want just that one little bite? Nothing? For real? For serious?


Yesterday, overall, went well. We had a mishap with dinner so it had to be replaced by two small snacks but I give myself a pass on that one because it was sort of out of my hands.


I had a nice experience yesterday followed by a sort of scary revelation. I went to Cross Street market to go to Pop Taco (a little stand that sells Mexican-esque) food. I ordered a burrito bowl with fish and the guy is asking me if I want this or that. He asks if I want rice and I say, “no…this would be the lower carb burrito bowl please.” He looks at me quizzically and says “why? You’re in great shape. You can afford the carbs!” I think I may have blushed. In the past I would have made some self deprecating comment but yesterday I said, with confidence, “I want to stay that way…which is why I’ll be eating no rice…”

Took the salad back to my office…and ate the whole thing! Now mind you I got this same salad two weeks ago and could barely finish half. Yesterday? The whole thing. Oy. If I remember correctly though last time I got the rice. This time I had salad greens, onions, peppers, the fish, some salsa verde, some Monterey jack cheese and a tablespoon each of sour cream and guacamole. So not a lot of density going on there.
That and I have the wonder pouch so…there ya go…

As a part of this no-nosh thing I gave myself permission to eat as much as I felt comfortable eating at a sitting. Those who know me know I can’t do satisfied. I have to do full. In doing this, I may have doomed myself to failure but oh well. The calories from the extra few bites of my healthy meal dwarf in comparison to the many bites of “in between stuff” I am capable of eating so in my opinion it’s all for the greater good.

My big learning from day one is that I have all the strategies in place to be successful at this. I just wasn’t using them. On purpose. And to me it is infinitely more helpful figuring out why than even the original experiment itself. If I ask myself why, and keep asking, and come up with an answer, the noshing thing will work itself out.

So that is part of my challenge for Lent—to figure out why I willfully ignore the strategies I know will make me successfully eat less. In essence, I seek to figure out now why I am eating what/how much I am eating, but what’s eating me. (that was SO cliché)

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?