Sunday, February 21, 2010

 

Day 3: Meatless Fridays

Another Lenten commitment I've made is to not do meat on Fridays. This is largely a Catholic tradition but one I've always found enlightening. In many parts of the world, people don't eat meat everyday and have to find other ways to get protein and other nutrients. And you know what? Many of them are far healthier than me so there must be something to that.

Anyhoo...one might think getting protein in without meat is difficult. Not so much. I do use protein supplements but I vowed not to do any extra on meatless Fridays. For breakfast I had what has become a staple--peanut butter oatmeal. For lunch a salad topped with tuna. My snack was cheese and for dinner...

Interestingly enough, although my family (mom, brother, etc.) is vehemently against meatless Fridays (too big a sacrifice) everyone naturallly gravitated toward seafood. My brother bought some catfish for us to cook but we ended up eating Chinese--seafood combination and shrimp egg foo young. The Lord works in mysterious ways!

So far as the noshing thing...my brain has taken to trying to find justifications for snacking. It is a favorite passtime...I have not given in (yet) nor do I plan to, but interesting how addiction has its own unique logic.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?