Monday, September 15, 2008

 

Ok, ok, so I'll post a recipe...

I made the most AMAZING soup the other day. No, I don't have a picture of the soup because I'm not all fancy like that but it was soooo yummy. It was jambalaya-esque (meaning not quite jambalaya but it put you in the mind of jambalaya). It turned out a wee bit too spicy so the recipe below takes that down a notch to just "kicky."

Nikki's "mock jambalaya"

2 c. reduced fat chicken stock
1 c. water
4 slices pork bacon, fried, drippings reserved
1 small onion, chopped
2 button mushrooms, chopped
2 c. baby spinach
1 16 oz. can tomatoes and chiles
1 reduced fat turkey smoked sausage link, diced
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 c. uncooked quinoa
Optional: 1 lb. peeled and deveined medium shrimp

Directions:

1. Sautee spinach in bacon drippings adding 1/2 c at a time until slightly wilted before adding the next. Once all spinach is wilted, add onions and mushrooms and cook until translucent.

2. In a medium sized pot, combine chicken stock, water and quinoa over a medium flame, bringing to a boil and then lowering heat to simmer.

3. Add tomatoes and chiles and red pepper flakes to the chicken stock and bring to a boil.

4. Add spinach mixture, smoked sausage, and shrimp and simmer for about 20 minutes.

Now if you want real, real goodness, dice up the bacon and throw it in there. If you're one of those health nuts like me, leave it out. I like to use my fat sources wisely. For cajun-esque cooking there is just no substitute for bacon, so I use the drippings to get the flavor. I don't have nutritional information right off hand but I rember after plugging it into my food journal it wasn't that bad on calories or fat. In the future I'll add a little more quinoa and more meat and shrimp to bump up the protein in it but overall it was yummy! I played lunch fairy with my Guinea Pig...er, friend Melanie who said she loved the flavor but that it was a bit too spicy (remember in my version at home I used a spicier version, the above should be just fine for those of you who only like a touch of spiciness.)

In other news, I read a study today (and if I was smart I'd link it) that says that there is no detrimental effect on weight loss by eating late at night. The caveat is that you have to consistently burn a good amount of energy during the day. Well today I cleaned all day long and ended the day with a nice 30 minute cardio blast I dunno if this qualifies me for the late eating plan, but I'm gonna have a snack soon all the same.

I haven't posted my stats the last few posts so I'll give you an update:

Highest Weight: 337 lbs.
Surgery day weight: 327 lbs.
Today's weight: 214 lbs.
Total loss since surgery: 113 lbs!!!

I'm chipping away at it folks! Pray for me as I continue on this journey.

Comments:
Congrats Nik! you are doing great, I am going to try the recipe too!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?