Thursday, August 14, 2008

 

"That Guy"

Ladies…yesterday at the gym I ran into THAT guy. You know who that guy is. The one from high school that every girl dreamed about. The name that was doodled on the inside of every girl (and a few boy’s) notebooks. The one who, when he walked by, time seemed to stop. Yeah…I ran into THAT guy…and he’s just as dreamy as he was in high school.

Thing about that guy though is that he is super nice. In high school all the girls were after him (physically as well as in love) and he managed to maintain his chastity for quite some time. Anyway, I mention this because he told me a story that brought home to me why I am so blessed to have had this operation.

In high school there was this friend of ours who was super morbid obese. I mean like in the 5-600 lbs. range. She was sassy though. I remember she openly expressed her desire for all the cute guys in school, asked them out and everything. She had personality for days and was the nicest girl you could ever want to meet. We were really good friends in high school and I even went to junior prom with her brother.

Anyway…That-guy tells me that our school had a reunion about two years ago (I had no idea) and that she was there. She reminded him that he was supposed to take her on a date back in high school and said he still owes her that date. At the time he was seeing someone so he said he’d spend the day with her but as friends. She agreed and he said he spent a wonderful day with her and her family. At the end of the date she, of course, tried to solicit him (if you know what I mean) and he reiterated that he had a girlfriend but he did agree to a kiss. Now knowing her the way I did in high school I know that kiss probably made her day, month, year, lifetime. He said she was still big but had lost a little bit of weight since high school. Sadly, about two weeks later a friend of hers called him to let him know she’d passed away from a heart attack.

You should have seen the sparkle in his eye when he talked about his day with her. He said he felt so blessed to spend that time with her and to have known her. He went to the funeral and all. It just brought home to me how fortunate I am. Even with the stalls, even with the frustration, the restriction, the dumping, the replacement addictions, the self obsession…I have been given a chance at a new life. I am healthier and stronger and if I do live a long life I am almost sure it is because of the decision to change my life the way I have. So in her memory I pushed it a little harder in my workout…and gave a prayer of thanks for my RNY.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?