Thursday, July 24, 2008

 

My all-time favorite websites (not just post-surgery)

Yesterday I put out a call from my WLS friends for their blogs (this will be another post) but then I started thinking about my website preferences which is now leading to this post. So if anyone has any reflections, observations, or opinions based on my fave sites, please share them with me because, as Socrates said…”the unexamined life is not worth living.”

Blogs:

The World According to Eggface – mentioned below this is the website for recipes post-WLS. Eggface also includes some of her musical preferences and other insights that have lifted my spirits many a day. Her recipes work well for non-WLS people too (especially those who want to curb carbs, pump up protein and eat more veggies). http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com

The Vegan Lunchbox – this blog is run by a lady named Jennifer who is a lunchbox artiste! She and her family are all vegan and so all the foods she consumes are meat-free, dairy-free and, I’ve just learned, not soy dependent. Plus her lunch boxes are so pretty! She makes shapes and adds colors and it all just seems too pretty to eat. I don’t make too much from this blog but it makes me not so afraid of vegetables. http://veganlunchbox.blogspot.com

Pink is the New Blog – Trent is it! For all my celebrity goss and the 4-1-1 on what’s happening in Hollywood I turn to him. I like his blog better than some other blogs because he gives his insights without scathing words. Perhaps this is why even the celebs he writes about love his blog. www.pinkisthenewblog.com

Project Rungay- Their tagline is “Project Runway and Fashion from a bitchy Gay perspective.” What could be better? Anyone who knows me knows that I lurve Project Runway. I’ve even recruited the kids into my madness (we watch the runway show and pause after every outfit to give a thumbs-up, thumbs-neutral, or thumbs-down). This blog sums up the show nicely and gives some good tips too. http://projectrungay.blogspot.com

Websites:

Television Without Pity – if you are a snarky person (and if you don’t know what that means…chances are you’re not), you’ll love this website. There are so many reasons why I love it, I had to edit this paragraph three times just to shorten the whole thing! First off, they do recaplets. What is a recaplet? Well, if you missed a show you can go on there and read everything that happened. BUT…it is a recap without pity which means the recapper injects his/her likes, dislikes, neuroses into the recap which makes it all the more better because then you know you are NOT the only one out there thinking of this stuff. Plus, there are message boards for every show you love and hate. I score killer spoilers for my soaps on this board. www.televisionwithoutpity.com

I-Dressup – ok, technically this started as a website my daughters went to…but now I’m hooked. This is an online dressup community. Basically here’s the deal: you get an avatar and some i-coins..which you can use to buy your avatar clothes to put in her closet (which is completely customizable of course). You earn more i-coins by playing dress-up games. Some of the games are really, really cool. There are many studios with real designer clothes (Michael Kors, Anna Sui, Juicy Couture, Baby Phat, Roberto Cavalli, you name it…they got it), and also by going to other people’s closets and playing dress up. Both my daughters have killer wardrobes on there. Be careful to monitor kids on this though…it is also a social networking site which means people can contact you and you can contact them. One good thing though is that everyone’s age is displayed on their avatar so hopefully that helps. www.i-dressup.com

Bag, Borrow, and Steal – technically this is a retail site but I like to just go there and drool. It’s the same concept as Netflix except with purses. There are different level plans (which I guess get you better purses). Keep the purse as long as you like and return it for another. I don’t subscribe (funds are tight) but I’d imagine this is a good way to impress your friends at the high school reunion. I’ve made a deal with myself. If they get the Hermes Birkin bag…I’ll sign up. Otherwise, no deal. www.bagborrowsteal.com

Merriam-Webster website – now before you call me a big ol’ dork let me say this. I like to know what the words mean that come out of my mouth. So when I come up against a word I don’t know, I ask my peeps at MW. When I need a thesaurus…I ask them. When I want to see a word used in a sentence…well you get the picture. They also have a word of the day every day and it gives the meaning, use and background on that word. From this I found that “bogart” is an actual word thankyouverymuch (as in “stop bogarting the chips!!!”) Who knew? www.m-w.com

And last but certainly not least…

JK Rowling’s website – choose the UK version and there is all sorts of magic in store for you. She hides what she calls “Easter Eggs” in her site which you have to perform magic spells to unlock. I’ve gotten nearly all of them and have seen handwritten pages of the Potter manuscripts, character descriptions and never-before-seen stuff. If you’re a Potter fan, this site is a must visit. If you are inconsolable about the series ending, you might also consider Harry Potter Fan Fiction, which is a site devoted to…you guess it…fan fiction. Can take the edge off those lonely nights ya know? Rowling’s site: www.jkrowling.com, Fan Fiction: www.harrypotterfanfiction.com

So there you have it. My favorite net places. What are yours?

Comments:
hey you, why am I still in Chicago and my cellphone is broken
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?