Monday, March 03, 2008

 

I'm a Survivah!

Well folks it's been a pretty peaceful week or so on this end. I think life may actually be becoming normal for me. Energy is increasing (yadda, yadda), sleeping well (yadda), have no clue how much more weight I've lost but seeing that my caloric count for any given day is rarely more than 500 calories, I'd say that I am continuing to lose, if only because of my negative calorie balance.

This past weekend was a busy one. Friday, I took the girls to their school's karoake night. I've been to these shindigs before so I should know better than to come to one without earplugs and the latest issue of Life and Style magazine but for this one day I thought my kids were more interesting that Britney Spears or Harlow Kate Winter Madden (damn that's a lot of names!). I am proud to say my oldest seems to be coming out of her shell. She performed a record four songs. My youngest and I did several duets, including a very good rendition of "Who let the dogs out." We did, however, completely murder that oldtime karaoke classic "YMCA."

Speaking of YMCA, we've been going at least twice a week for the last few weeks. Nice place. Thus far the only thing for the girls to do is swim, so we have a deal. They act peaceful in child drop-off for an hour and I take them to swim afterward. This seems to be working out well. Those of you who don't have kids, don't let anyone tell you that bribery isn't 50% of the equation. Anywho, the other day while we were in the pool for free swim the most beautifully sculpted male human form sauntered into the pool room and jumped into the lap lane. Now, I should say that I'm a big fan of admiring from afar. I'm not into flirting with any and every guy I find attractive. No, no. Sometimes I just like to look at a person. And look I did. That is, until my six year old, who is attempting to learn wit and snarkiness, called me out in the middle of the pool by telling me to "quit signifyin'" Ordinarily such cheek would be worthy of admonishment but it was so darn funny and cute and it's really hard to admonish while you are laughing your butt off. So I let it slide.

And in the biggest piece of news this week. Drumroll please...I survived my very first black folk function post-surgery!!!!! Those of you who are not black, let me explain. See, in order for a black folk function to be an actual black folk function, certain foods must be present. Among those are: fried chicken (wings especially), potato salad, spaghetti salad (sounds like an oxymoron doesn't it?), deviled eggs, collard greens (cooked in pork fat), green beans (cooked in pork fat), rolls, etc... So of that, what can I eat. See my point here? I was good though. I got myself one of those tiny cake plates and I ate, without trouble, two barbequed meatballs, three cubes of cheddar cheese, and about a tablespoon of drained green beans (sans pork fat). The occasion? My friend Arteasha had a little baby girl (about three weeks early) and it was her baby shower. Mind you, I knew nobody at the table where I was sitting. So naturally, I got the strange looks about my little plate, my teeny food, and how long it was taking me to eat that teeny food. I employed the good ol' Clinton patented "don't ask don't tell." That works. I did notice myself, however, gawking at the portions on other people's plates. Could it be that my perception of a lot of food is changing? Has to be because I was sitting there seriously contemplating how they could eat that much food until I remembered that I used to eat that much food. Yikes. No wonder we're a nation of fat asses.

Ah well...I'll post again on Thursday with a weight update. Until then...healthandfitness...

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?