Thursday, August 10, 2006

 

Regret, thy name is Mel

Ok, so shoot me if you want to, but I think this Mel Gibson thing is going WAY overboard.

First let me set some thoughts down in anticipation of all the objections you might be thinking up:

YES Mel was stupid to go out and get drunk and then get behind the wheel of a car even though many people offered to drive him home.

YES Me was wrong to have behaved badly towards a police officer.

NO I don’t think it’s “ok” to make anti-semitic remarks or any other racist remarks ever.

HOWEVER, raise your hand if you’ve never, ever, EVER done something stupid, drunk or otherwise, that you cringe to think about even now?

Yeah, I thought so.

Sometimes people forget that celebrities are people too. Granted they are mostly spoiled, over-indulgent, self-absorbed people, but they are people and they are prone to making mistakes. I’ve had several people tell me they think Mel Gibson should be black balled (no pun intended) b/c of this because, in theory, even if he is sorry about what he did, he is showing his true colors to the world.
Okay, let’s go with that theory.

One of the few things that Dubya has let us keep these past six years is our right to hold any opinion we want. It’s an American value. But it seems to me that it is only valued when the individual opinion is in agreement with the popular opinion. That, to me, isn’t democracy, that’s brain washing. Ok, so Mel has a repressed resentment towards Jews. Should he lose his career over that? NO. Will his career be very successful with that mind set? Probably not. What I’m saying here (b/c I know I’m getting convoluted) is two things: #1 Let he who is without sin cast the first stone and #2 the man is human and has the right to do human things. Drawing and quartering him for being human isn’t fair. Imagine if everyone who ever made a derogatory statement EVER lost their careers. It isn’t right. I think Mel should make amends for his behavior. He hurt a lot of people, a lot of fans, but I think the buzz going around about Mel is just ridiculous. Almost makes me pray for Paris Hilton to do something stupid just to get the heat off of the guy. And that’s never a good thing to hope for.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?